hearty african peanut stew
I'm never going to forget the first time I experienced the magic of peanut flavour in a veggie stew. I was volunteering in Ghana and one of the local women made us "African bean soup." It had these amazing massive white beans and a light nutty flavour. It was very simple but so hearty at the same time. I hope you enjoy this version! This recipe makes 6 servings.
- 2 sweet potatoes, diced
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 796 ml can of whole tomatoes (including liquid)
- 1 can of chickpeas (rinsed and drained)
- 1 head of celery, sliced
- 1 batch of kale ripped into small pieces
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 tablespoon of cumin
- 1 tablespoon of chili powder
- 3 heaping tablespoons of natural peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon of cayenne (optional, I love spice)
- 1 cup of water
Throw all ingredients (except spices and peanut butter) into a regular pot or a crock pot set to high, and cook for 3 hours in the crockpot, 2 hours in a regular pot or until sweet potatoes are soft.
Make sure mix is stirred occasionally.
Once sweet potatoes are soft, add spices and peanut butter and stir, let the mix cook for 20 more minutes.
Enjoy this peanutty goodness!