make it yourself: curry powder
This is a recipe I had to make as part of my training at the Academy of Culinary Nutrition. This recipe makes about half a cup of curry powder.
- 3 tablespoons of coriander seeds
- 2 tablespoons of cumin seeds
- 2 tablespoons of ground turmeric
- 1 tablespoon of yellow mustard seeds
- 1 tablespoon of fennel seeds
- 1 tablespoon of cardamom seeds
- 1 tablespoon of whole cloves
- 2 teaspoons of ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon of nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne (I used 1 teaspoon because I like it spicy)
Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
Combine all ingredients in a bowl.
Spread the spices out onto a pan with parchment paper.
Cook for 20 minutes or until the spices are very fragrant. Check after ten minutes.
Grind spices in a blender or using a mortar and pestle.
I did the latter and it was quite the arm workout. I use the curry powder in curries (of course) stir fry, on tofu and to roast pumpkin or squash seeds.