tasty baked falafel
This is my attempt at recreating the mouth watering falafel I ate almost every day in Israel. I tried to keep the recipe nice and simple while still maintaining that tasty flavour. I like to serve my falafel with an Israeli salad and hummus but it's also delicious in a wrap too! This recipe makes 10 medium sized patties.
- 1 can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/3 cup of fresh parsley, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup of yellow onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup of chickpea flour (or gluten free flour of your choice)
- 1 tablespoon of cumin
- pinch of salt
- sesame seeds to garnish (optional)
Place all ingredients in a food processor and blend until everything is mixed together.
You may need to add a bit more flour to ensure the mix can be molded.
Place into mixing bowl and scoop out tablespoon sized portions and roll into balls or into patties. You can make them as big or small as you like!
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Place falafel on parchment paper and bake for 20 minutes or until the falafel are a golden brown.
BONUS recipe! My take on the Israeli Salad:
- 1 cucumber, diced
- 1 cup of cherry tomatoes, diced
- 1 cup of fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 cup of quinoa or cous cous, boiled with 2 parts water until soft
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of lemon
Mix all ingredients together in a salad bowl and serve with the falafel!