zoodles with pesto
My Italian roots inspire a lot of my dishes, and when I found out that nutritional yeast can be used as a substitute for cheese, my imagination ran wild! These "noodles" with pesto remind me a lot of childhood, except without the sore tummy from the cheese afterward. This recipe serves two people.
- 1 + 1/2 cup of basil
- 1/3 cup of extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup of nutritional yeast
- 1 cup of walnuts
- 1/4 cup of water
- juice from 1 lemon (about 2 tablespoons)
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
Blend basil, olive oil, nutritional yeast, walnuts, lemon and garlic. Add water to preferred consistency.
- 2 zucchinis (1 per person)
- 3/4 cup of diced cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 red pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup of diced olives (omit if you don't like olives!)
- 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil
Use a spiralizer to turn the zucchini into noodles (it's like magic!)
If you don't have a spiralizer, you can slice them using a peeler and then cut into thin noodles.
Use a tea towel to take some of the moisture out of the noodles.
On high heat, add the noodles onto a pan with olive oil and cook for about 5 minutes with tomatoes, pepper and olives.
Mix in pesto or pour it on top. You might have to add a bit of water.
Serve with fresh basil.